Saturday, May 30, 2015

Whiskey Review: The Balvenie Doublewood 12 Years


Because sometimes, when it comes to good single malt scotch, one wood, is just not enough, so I present to you The Balvenie DOUBLEwood.

I wish I had some story as to how smart I was finding this particular bottle, but truth is, I was in a hurry at Bevmo (as always), and grabbed the wrong bottle.  By the time I realized it, I was home and really not in the mood to go back, so I opened it.  According to the label, this single malt scotch is matured first in a traditional whiskey barrel, which imparts the vanilla flavors.  It is then finished in sherry oak casks, which gives the fruity honey flavors.  Well I like both of those, so it is of NO surprise I really dig this scotch.   I tend to like sherry oak matured scotches like the Macallan 18 year.  You can clearly taste that grapey/fruity honey-like start here that is reminiscent of the Macallan 18, but what is not lost is that nice and unmistakable whiskey hit for the finish.  Throw in a nice smooth feel and you have a great scotch that all can enjoy.  

I have come across this bottle at various bars and restaurants, but not as often as I would like.  In addition, I have also spoken about this bottle to your average whiskey drinkers, and they were unaware of this yummy goodness.  Time to change all that. 

The numbers: I get it for $49 at BevMo when it's on sale, and it is worth it.

It reminds me of...that moment you butt hits the couch and you have nothing else to do for the day.

The verdict: I think I would be very aggravated if I opened my liquor cabinet and did not see a bottle of Balvenie Doublewood 12 year sitting there waiting for me.  Warning though, I have tried the 17 year version and did not find it to be worth the increase in price ($149!).  For your value, stick to the 12 year.  If money is no object, get the 17, and send me cash...now...

Like me on Facebook!

Please comment below!  If you think there is something I must try or something you want me to review, toss it in the comments and I will see what I can do.

Professional tasting notes:
TheWhiskeyJug.com
Whiskey.underthelabel.com

No comments:

Post a Comment