Friday, May 22, 2015

Whiskey Review: Cragganmore 12 Years


One day I came home from work and found a bottle of Cragganmore 12 years delivered to my doorstep.  It was a gift from my former student Matt, as a present following the publication of the first paper from my lab.  He was co-first author.  I waited all of about 30 seconds before I opened the bottle.  From the moment you even smell it, you know you are in for something.  After the first taste, it punches you in the face and says "I'M A SCOTCH YA WEE LIL'BASTID!!!"  It is assertive in flavor, but smooth at the same time.  As I am reading around about this scotch, I am led to believe it is the malt that gives it the strong flavor.  It is not smokey, not too sweet, and quite honestly, not as nuanced as some other scotches, but it is simple and up front.  Scotch.

Here is a video of me, immediately after that first taste:


The numbers: Since it was a gift, I don't know how much was spent on it, but online research says it should go for around $45 to $50.  I don't actually see it around much my normal stomping grounds, so online maybe the way to go. 

It reminds me of...that moment when you are hanging out with your buddies on Bourbon Street in New Orleans, not friends...the buddies that you always get into trouble with, and someone says "hey I have an idea, lets go and get a drunk stranger to jump over this barricade".  Just at that moment, everyone finishes their drinks, feeling invigorated and...


The verdict: I think that the unique combo of the assertive flavor, but yet smoothness makes it worth having, but probably not for the whiskey/scotch noob.

Please comment below!  If you think there is something I must try or something you want me to review, toss it in the comments and I will see what I can do.

Like me on Facebook!

Professional tasting notes:
masterofmalt.com
thewhiskyexchange.com




No comments:

Post a Comment