Friday, May 15, 2015

Whiskey Review: George Dickel Tennessee Whiskey Barrel Select




I first met this bottle while on a date night dinner with my wife at Hostaria del Piccolo in Venice Beach.  As usual I went straight to the whiskey list for my pre-dinner drink, and I noticed one item: Dickel's Barrel Select.  Some tiny voice in the back of my head was telling me, "order that one, someone said it's good!"  I debated with myself for a long time, "but it has a funny name!"  When the waitress showed up to take our order, I decided to take the plunge.  In about 10 minutes, I ordered my second and never looked back.

There really is not much more to say about this bottle other than, it is really good.  This is an everyday kind of whiskey, exceptionally smooth, with a nice mild taste that leaves behind a nice warm feeling.  I want to say vanilla is in there somewhere, but I seem to find vanilla in most whiskies.  Most importantly, George Dickel's Barrel Select, reintroduced me to the playground that is American Whiskey, and I have met many new friends since.  Makes you feel all 'Murica and fuzzy inside.



The numbers: I get it for $42 at BevMo when it's on sale, mostly because I don't have the patience to wait for it, as you can see the bottle in the picture is almost empty.  If you can wait, I have seen it for $35 online, but expect to pay some shipping.

It reminds me of...sitting in a dark restaurant with my friends talking about old times.


The verdict: All alcohol enthusiasts should have a bottle on hand.  This is a nice whiskey that can be shared with whiskey and non-whiskey drinkers alike.  Although oddly, none of my friends have taken up my offer to come over to my place and taste my Dickels...

Please comment below!  If you think there is something I must try or something you want me to review, toss it in the comments and I will see what I can do.

Like me on Facebook!

Professional tasting notes:
TheWhiskeyJug.com
Whiskey.underthelabel.com

No comments:

Post a Comment