Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Whiskey Review: George Dickel Tennessee Whiskey No 12


As I am writing this review, I am already on my second serving of this whiskey.  Although I would probably put it in the second tier, it is definitely enjoyable as an everyday, around the house type drink.  It is smooth to start off, followed by a slight burn, and nice warm finish that lingers.  If you are whiskey fan, you will find the George Dickel No 12 to be very enjoyable.  I think it is comparable, if not better than Gentleman's Jack.  That being said, this is without a doubt the overshadowed younger brother of the George Dickel Barrel Select, but quite honestly, if I had guests over and they wanted to mix this with Coke, Ice or something stranger, I would have no problems with that.  On the other hand, if it were the Barrel Select, I might not allow that to happen on my premises.  Truth is, you never know who might be coming over, might be Don Draper...



So it's best to be flexible.  

The numbers:I thought I got a great deal on this bottle at Bevmo for $23, but I just saw it on sale at the CVS Pharmacy for $15!!!!  At this price point, it is worth having in the house.  

It reminds me of...playing drinking games with my friends that is so epic we are still talking about it 15 years later, like that one time we were playing 3-man at our graduate school retreat and in walks a world renown virologist, and in about 20 minutes he left drunk, holding a beer in each hand.  Thanks Scot. 

The verdict: If you are just stocking a select few bottles of whiskey, I'd probably consider skipping this bottle.  If you are looking to assemble a collection, this is a good bottle to have when the buddies come over.  It is impressive to whiskey drinkers and non-whiskey drinkers, and if you run through a bottle or two, you won't be hurting in the wallet.  

Please comment below!  If you think there is something I must try or something you want me to review, toss it in the comments and I will see what I can do.

Like me on Facebook!

Professional tasting notes:
TheWhiskeyJug.com
Whiskey.underthelabel.com

No comments:

Post a Comment