Sunday, April 30, 2017

Whiskey Review: The Glenlivet Single Malt Scotch Whisky 12 Years

It was a bit of a throw back to my Scotch dominant days for this post.  I have been saving a tiny bit of The Glenlivet 12 Years to do a review, but ended up going on a huge bourbon bender in the meantime.  Yes, I know that is a picture of an empty bottle...on with the show then. 



If you are a fan of Scotch at all, you have probably heard of, or even enjoyed a taste of Glenlivet of some vintage.  I believe the first Scotch I ever tried was probably a Glenlivet.  You can find their offerings just about anywhere, from a supermarket, Bevmo, to liquor stores.  If you want to get into scotch, this is not a bad place to start.  The color is a light amber, a little lighter than a bourbon would typically be.  It smells of smokiness that is absent in most bourbon as well.  It has a very distinctive, but not overpowering scent of scotch.  The first taste is light and very smooth, finishing with a slightly burning but definitely warming aftertaste.  It has all the classic tastes of an oak barrel matured scotch, but is also smooth and not overbearing.  The aftertaste does linger a bit, but that is not a bad thing.  As I said, this is a great place to start a scotch adventure.  Doctor says:



The numbers: I can't even remember when or where I got this bottle, but it usually will run you about around $35, but as a low as $30.  

It reminds me of...kicking back after a good day with a whiskey and thinking to yourself...life is good.  

The verdict: It's a good price for a solid scotch, which is smooth and not overly assertive, but lacks the nuance of other offerings.  I would consider this a day-to-day type especially if you pick it up at the low 30's. . 

Thanks for reading!

Please comment below!  If you think there is something I must try or something you want me to review, toss it in the comments and I will see what I can do.

Professional tasting notes:

whiskey.underthelabel.com
thewhiskeyjug.com

No comments:

Post a Comment