Wednesday, June 7, 2017

Whiskey Review: Hibiki 17 Years

I don't know what took so long, but I am finally getting around to reviewing this Hibiki 17 Year Whiskey blend by Suntory.  I received it as part of a gift from family and never got around to doing the review, how long did you wait you ask?  Yes that is a pumpkin in the back ground, decorations for Thanksgiving 2016.  



Weirdest thing was I was really excited about this one, given how impressed Suntory I was previously.  So, without further adieu...the color is a nice apple-juicy gold.  Smell is surprisingly subtle, not sure why but I think I expected it to punch me in the nose.  I had to really take a deep breath before I could feel the alcohol.  First taste is also subtle, but oh-so-smooth.  Definitely reminiscent of a good smooth scotch.  The burn starts late and is warming with a bit of bite.  Aftertaste is mild, but the warmth lingers.  There is a hint of smoke, but it is not assertive.  It is more like a single malt in that there is a very unified feeling flavor, and not just a mish mash of everything whiskey and scotch as some blends are.  Not gonna lie, I could probably go through too much before I realized it.  This is easy to drink and flavorful at the same time.  It has a delicate balance of all the things you hope for in a good scotch-like whiskey without the negatives.  





The numbers: Since I got it for a present I don't know what the actual purchase price was, but Bevmo (as of today) has it for $160.  

It reminds me of...kicking back after a good day with a whiskey thinking...life is good. 

The verdict: I think that price is fair for the product, especially given the generally high price one pays for Japanese whiskey in the USA.  However, if you were to really look around, you might be able to find something of the same caliber and similar characteristics at a better price from Ireland or Scotland.  That being said, this is a fantastic Japanese whiskey offering. 

Like me on Facebook!

Please comment below!  If you think there is something I must try or something you want me to review, toss it in the comments and I will see what I can do.


Thanks for reading!

Professional tasting notes:

No comments:

Post a Comment