Sunday, March 5, 2017

Whiskey Review: Evan Williams Single Barrel Vintage

Ok, I decided to try something I normally would never get, again, and for more unexplained reasons Evan William Bourbon fell under that category for me.  I don't know if it is because of the price, or the generic font that they use or the fact that I have NEVER seen anybody pick up a bottle at the store much less buy a bottle...yeah...Anyways shattering preconceptions tonight.  



My bottle was barreled on 10/24/2007, barrel number 775, and bottled on 4/7/2016.  Here we go.  It smells...normal.  Full disclaimer, I was recovering from a cold at the time I was writing this review, but let it be known, nothing stops me from my whiskey reviewing duties.  First taste...it is a bit spicy right off the bat.  Then it builds up for a burning sensation in the throat.  I mean BURNING, maybe it is because I had been coughing, but what is this??? Lava??? Finally the aftertaste is very strong and lingers for quite a while.  My second go at it is the same result...so I decided to drop an ice cube into it, which is something I rarely do.  The ice did help mellow out the burn and the spices, and all-in-all makes it much more pleasant.  So if you are going to try this get some ice, or...



The numbers: This bottle was purchased for $28 on sale at Ralph's, which is on par with online prices as well.  

It reminds me of...Mordor. 

The verdict: For those of you who like your whiskey to punch you in the face and yell SPARTAAAA, this is for you.  If you like your whiskey smooth and silky, this is not for you.  I am in the latter category, so for me this is not worth it, but I can see that it might be up someone else's alley. 

Thanks for reading!

Please comment below!  If you think there is something I must try or something you want me to review, toss it in the comments and I will see what I can do.

Professional tasting notes:

whiskey.underthelabel.com
thewhiskeyjug.com

No comments:

Post a Comment