Saturday, January 2, 2016

Whiskey Review: Eagle Rare Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey 10 year

It was January 2nd, 2016.  After a holiday season of, well let's just call it in depth research into whiskey, I found myself in the sleepy town of San Juan Capistrano for a mini-vacation.  We were at Vons picking up some water, and despite me having sworn off alcohol for at least a week, I found myself in front of a VERY impressive collection of whiskey.  Several deals were must haves, but I settled on this bottle of Eagle Rare Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey, 10 year.  



I have been waiting to find this bottle for some time, since it is aged for 10 years which is much much more than the 2 year minimum for a straight bourbon.  My two attempts at ordering it in a restaurant have ended empty drammed (I made up that word).  I broke my alcohol hiatus immediately upon returning to the hotel room to bring you this review.  Yes, the sacrifices I make.  

The smell is very simple actually, mainly consisting of vanilla and caramel.  It is not going to burn your lungs if you take a deep breath of it, which is actually really nice.  If I could get an air freshener that smelled like this for my car, I would.  The first taste is interesting, while not very complex in flavor, the bourbon is still assertive, with a slight burn.  It brings a warming feeling to the table as well.  Despite the almost simple flavor, the bourbon is not one dimensional at all.  The finish is smooth, slightly sweet, and not overpowering.  There is a complete lack of smokey flavors, so for fans of that profile, this one may seem a little dull.  

The back of the bottle reads: Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness-the cornerstones of the birth of a nation, epitomized by the American bald eagle.  That nation has come to represent the freedom, spirit and independence of the individual, giving the world products and innovations that are uniquely its own.  One such innovation was Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey.

Indeed.  



The numbers: I got it for $32 at Vons which is a fair price.  You can probably find it for less online, but remember you will probably pay shipping.  

It reminds me of...simpler and fun times. 

The verdict: This is a good whiskey for the price, and for those who are extra patriotic (you know who you are), you gotta have it!  If you like a simple clean flavor, this is the whiskey for you.  If you are into more complex or smokey offerings, you should consider moving along and looking into a scotch instead.  

Please comment below!  If you think there is something I must try or something you want me to review, toss it in the comments and I will see what I can do.


Like me on Facebook!

Professional tasting notes:

whiskey-reviews.com
spiritsreview.com



No comments:

Post a Comment