Monday, November 16, 2015

Whiskey Review: J.R. Ewing Private Reserve Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey

I walked into my local Ralph's with the intent to buy a bottle of whiskey I have never tried, seen or even heard of, just to make things interesting.  When I was there, I came across this bottle, J. R. Ewing, Private Reserve.  It seemed interesting enough, especially since anything that is private and reserved mush be better than something that is public and easily available, right?


I am experimenting with different backgrounds for my pictures.  This is the bottle next to a lamp.  Don't judge.  The color is light, and the smell was not very assertive.  Smelled almost like almond jello?  The flavor was unique.  Like the smell, not too assertive.  I am not sure how to describe this bourbon, except to call it extremely focused in flavor, as if a normal bourbon with 17 different flavors were reduced to 3 flavors.  The aftertaste does not linger for too long, and ends clean.  I can say that it is an interesting whiskey.  Its lightness and non-assertiveness makes it easy to drink.  Seeing as how I have more writing to do later to night I will take the advice of Hemingway...


How can I argue with Hemingway?  I will have another!

The numbers:  I purchased this bottle at Ralphs for $30, which is a good price for this interesting whiskey. 

It reminds me of...oddly, of studying late nights, with a good whiskey and making no progress because you have really been playing video games instead. 

The verdict: The whiskey is interesting enough where I would include it into my regular rotation of whiskies.  Especially at the reasonable price of $30.  Although, I feel like there are probably other whiskies I would prefer for the same price.  This is up to you to find out for yourself.  Go ahead and try it.  


Like me on Facebook!

Professional tasting notes:

Reviews were difficult to find, but here are a few good ones. 
bourbonbanter.com
thewhiskeywash.com - This one has an interesting story behind this whiskey.  I didn't watch Dallas, so I had no clue!


No comments:

Post a Comment