Thursday, January 28, 2016

Whiskey Review Special Valentine's Edition: Four Roses Bourbon and Single Barrel

With Valentine's bearing down on us, I thought I would do a special review: Roses.  Four Roses that is, both their Bourbon (left) and Single Barrel (right) offerings.  Yeah, I know...the Single Barrel is nearly empty. 


I am going to start off with the regular Bourbon.  Right off the bat I am worried.  It's a twist top.  TWIST TOP??? I can't remember the last time I had alcohol from a twist top.  The smell (nose...whatever) has a kick to it, but otherwise is fine.  First impression is...HEY NOT BAD.  It's not great, but not terrible either.  A spicy aftertaste does linger a bit and get stronger as it goes.  So beware if you don't like that or are eating spicy foods.

Ok now off to the Single Barrel.  Right off the bat, the bottle looks a lot better.  Intricate design, CORK, and some weird pleather strap.  Nothing says classy like pleather. The smell is distinctly less spicy, and very smooth almost sweet.  First impression is...this is gooooddd.  Very smooth and flavorful without the kick.  The after taste is present but not strong and mellows out quickly.  Definitely the superior offering.  

So gentlemen.  You have to ask yourself, what kind of whiskey drinking girl are you trying to impress? 



Yeah, yeah I know, Mila is probably holding a Jim Bean, but let's pretend it something more refined for a moment ok?  I mean really, look at her, does it matter what is in the glass?  Yes it does.  Buy the good stuff. 

Ladies, it doesn't matter, I am sure if you bought your whiskey drinking man either bottle they will be happy, because alcohol.  Just remember to enjoy some with him. 

The numbers: The regular I got on sale at Ralphs for $19! The Single Barrel was purchased at Bevmo for about $42.  

They reminds me of...Valentine's day...duh.


The verdict: The regular is actually kind of nice for that price, I would definitely drink this over Jack Daniels or Jim Beam, however, I wouldn't have an issue tossing some Coke or something in for a mixer.  As for the Single Barrel, the price is a bit on the high side for me.  Don't get me wrong, it's good, but I don't see the price value.  If you want to get "a dozen roses" you might consider the regular bottle.  Another alternative for the non-whiskey drinker is Tequila Rose, which pretty much tastes like a strawberry milkshake when over ice. 


Please comment below!  If you think there is something I must try or something you want me to review, toss it in the comments and I will see what I can do.


Like me on Facebook!

Professional tasting notes:

Regular
masterofmalt.com
whiskey.underthelabel.com

Single Barrel

No comments:

Post a Comment