Thursday, July 16, 2015

Whiskey On The Go: Whiskey Tasting Aboard the Disney Wonder

This summer we took a family vacation to Alaska on a 7 day cruise aboard the Disney Wonder.  There is no doubt that you are on a Disney cruise, as you are bombarded with staff wearing Mikey gloves, decorations featuring your beloved Disney characters, and Mikey's everywhere!  Even your auditory sense is constantly assailed with soundtracks from Disney movies and cartoons.  I can imagine that even the grumpiest of people will have NO choice but to smile while aboard the (1 of 4) happiest cruise ships in the world.  That is how Disney rolls people.  Although it is clear that the cruise activities and decor is geared towards the children and the children masquerading as adults, they have not forgotten to appeal to the grown up side of us as well.  Hidden among the smorgasbord of activities was one that I could not pass up: whiskey tasting.  I promptly signed up and along with some of my other family members proceeded to the Outlook Cafe and Bar in the adult's only section of the ship.  

There we met Pablo and four bottles of whiskey.  Pablo is from Honduras, and is a fast talking whiskey expert.  


The bottles are from right to left (that is the order we drank it): Woodford Reserve Distiller Select, Dalwhinnie 15 Year Scotch, Macallan Whisky Maker's Edition, and Glenmorangie Signet.

In front of our seats were four prepoured whiskey tasting glasses, and of course napkins featuring the unmistakable Mickey ears.  


The whole tasting session was informative and engaging.  Pablo was very knowledgeable, and managed to get us laughing while teaching the basics of whiskey distilling and tasting.  He even explained why Jack Daniels is called the Old No. 7.  It was a fascinating story wish I could have remembered it!

I will only briefly talk about the whiskeys themselves since I didn't have anything to take notes on, more detailed reviews later.  First off, Woodford Reserve, a classic bourbon, which happened to also be the drink I had in the cabin while "warming up" for this event.  A solid opener.  The Dalwhinnie 15 Year Scotch was brand new to me, but from what I can recollect, it was good.  Not necessarily good enough for me to run out and find a bottle, but I might revisit it at a later date.  The Macallen Whisky Maker's Edition was classic Macallen, with a nice smooth flavor of oak and sherry.  Pablo asked the audience a question for a free pour, which was, "why does this bottle not have a year on it?", and I was able to correctly answer, "because it is a blend".  Thus, earning another pour, fairly generous one too.  Finally we closed out with the Glenmorangie Signet, which was probably the most unique of the four.  It carried a strong hint of coffee or licorice.  Personally, not being a coffee drinker I would have passed on this, however, it was definitely interesting.  Could be a good one to stock if you are a coffee fan. 

To round out the night, Pablo put his knowledge of whiskey to the test by offering a free shot of the Macallens to anybody who could stump him with a question about whiskey.  I dug deep, really deep, and earned myself a free shot with this question: what does the No 8 and No 12 mean on George Dickel's Whiskey?  He looked at me seriously and sagely, and said, George Dickel's huh?  Then proceeded to pour me another generous shot.  Then this happened:



Along with my warm up drinks and the ones I earned, I'd say it was a fun and fruitful night.  If you are ever on a Disney Cruise, look it up, well worth the $25 dollars.  



No comments:

Post a Comment