Thursday, August 18, 2016

Whiskey Review: The Macallan Rare Cask

I want you to listen to this music as you look at the next series of pictures. 



Listen to the start, the dramatic opening. 


The intensity is starting to pick up. 


The excitement builds!


Crescendo!!!!


Sorry, couldn't contain my excitement.  This was a gift, and it's a Macallan Rare Cask.  As you can see the packaging is just awesome.  The bottle has a regal feel to it.  There are definitely dark caramel tones to the nose and color reflects a dark caramel-ly amber color.  However...

I am not sure if it is because I hyped myself too much (like the movie theme song), or because I have unrealistically high expectations for Macallan, I did not find this particular offering to be that amazing.  Don't get me wrong, it is a great scotch, but I think I would prefer the 18 or 21 year from Macallan over this offering.  That of course didn't stop me from finishing the bottle eventually, because like I said, it is good.  Oh, almost forgot.  The first taste you definitely get strong vanilla and caramel flavors, which are reminiscent of Macallan scotch in general.  Then there is a bite followed by a mellow, but flavorful after party.  Just to note, this is not a single malt, if that is important to you.  This is a blend of sherry matured scotch.

The numbers: I got is as a gift so I am not sure what was spent on it, but at Bevmo this bottle will run you $299 on sale!!  


It reminds me of...Macallan 18 year and the Great Gatsby. 

The verdict: I am not sure what to make of it, simply because it is a good scotch no doubt, but other offerings from Macallan are better in my option.  However, it is a statement piece to a collection given Macallan's standing in the scotch world.  If you have the money, go for it.

Thanks for reading!

Like me on Facebook!

Please comment below!  If you think there is something I must try or something you want me to review, toss it in the comments and I will see what I can do.

Professional tasting notes:

TheWhiskeyJug.com
masterofmalt.com







No comments:

Post a Comment