Thursday, April 21, 2016

Whiskey Review: Blanton's Bourbon

Blanton's.  That name evokes a sense of bourbon royalty.  Probably pronounced Blon-tonne's, you know, to make it fancy.  My bottle even reads: This Bourbon whiskey dumped on 12-15-15 (in what appears to be handwriting) from Barrel No. 57 Stored in Warehouse H on Rick No 6 Individually selected filtered and bottled by hand at 93 proof.  Each Bottle is recorded with the Master Registrar at Blanton Distilling Company This Registered Bottle No is 68.  


Holy shit that is cool.  You can't see the top in this picture, but there is a guy on a horse.  The Bourbon with a horse on top.  Anyways, I digress.  How I was introduced to Blanton's bourbon was due to being stuck at a conference in the Chicago suburban town of Itasca while attending a conference.  The town was rather sleepy in general and very uninteresting.  While I am normally inclined to explore local bars when traveling, driving into the resort hotel, there really wasn't much to see.  So I resigned myself to a likely very unspectacular hotel bar.  After scrolling through their whiskey list, there was only one that I hadn't tried yet: Blanton's.  I ordered one and apparently it was ordered so infrequently, they had to get a brand new bottle from storage.  In fact the second bartender didn't even recognize the bottle, I had to tell him, the one with the horse on top.  Anyhow, I digress..again, hmm maybe I should take my meds from now on...My first encounter with Blanton's got me hooked.  It has a nice full but not too assertive scent.  I can say I get hints of honey, and almost a sort of...I don't know, burnt sugar smell?  The flavor is complex, there is a lot going on, but smooth, and not overbearing.  There is a sweet quality to it at the beginning, then it ends with a nice bite.  The finish, although somewhat biting, is also warming and leaves a nice aftertaste.  All in all.  This is good, really good.  To the bottle, I said:


As in the next day, and the next, and the next. 

The numbers: I am not going to lie, it is expensive.  I used to see it for about $45 and balked at that price.  However, I have since had a difficult time even finding a bottle to purchase.  I found this one at Whole Foods Market for $49.99, which is $10 less than I saw it for at Bevmo the same week.  

It reminds me of...sitting in a nice restaurant bar with good company and good drinks not caring if we are being seated late.

The verdict: This bottle definitely runs on the expensive side, but for what you get it is worth it if you are an enthusiast, but unless you are rolling in cash, I would reserve this for special occasions.  


Please comment below!  If you think there is something I must try or something you want me to review, toss it in the comments and I will see what I can do.


Like me on Facebook!


Professional tasting notes:

TheWhiskeyJug.com
whiskey.underthelabel.com



2 comments:

  1. Blanton’s ‘Black label’ Single Barrel Kentucky Straight Bourbon Blanton’s Bourbon for sale are no official differentiation between the black and the green (Special Reserve) except from a quote by John Shutt (International Sales and Marketing Manager for Blanton’s) “The “Red” and “Black” labels were created… specifically for the Japanese market. Red 93pf and Black 80pf are the same mash bills as their other Blanton labels with one difference….there is an 8 year minimum aged barrel selected. Their other Blanton labels require a 6 year minimum. Regardless, you won’t find an age statement on any Blanton label. They bottle by taste, not age,” says Shutt. An extremely rare bottling, a must have for any Blanton’s enthusiast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 2020 Eagle Rare 17 Year Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey, a rare bourbon that ages in oak barrels for nearly two decades and is only available in small quantities once a year, every fall. Sip this polished, well-aged whiskey to appreciate why patience is such a virtue. One of Five expressions released as the Buffalo Trace 2020 Antique Collection

    ReplyDelete